Vain Talk

Nice veins says the Needle Woman pressing the inside arm of a friend resting supine on a blood donation cot. Great veins, the blood really flows, she says. Envy roils. I want nice, great veins. Some people, like my friend, roll up a sleeve, get in the needle and bleed a pint. I do not. You have rolly veins Needle Man said when I tried to give. The blood started, stopped and dried up. He pulled the needle when sweat formed on my forehead. I tell this to Needle Woman. Rolly veins are easy she says. Just hold down the forearm and insert the needle. A halo forms above her head as she speaks. Her beauty makes me blush. Standing before me I see my blood donation angel who can shorten my bucket list. Next time my appointment will be with you. You won't see me again, she says, I'm a traveling phlebotomist. My angel has wings. My dream dissolves. Friend with nice, great veins readies for departure. She picks juice and cookies. I take her empties and put them in the trash.

Comments