Diameter

Perfect squares with perforation. Easy to pull too many. To prevent waste, parents instruct children to count them from the roller, one, two, three, four. I yank and hit glue. One square. Not enough. Open the drawer for a replacement. Empty. I call out for help in the early (4am) morning dark. Please, a roll of toilet paper. The door cracks. A hand attached to an arm (torso plus head hidden) stretches across the bathroom. Crisis averted. Too lazy, too tired, and too dark, I place the roll on the toilet tank rather than on its hitching post. More sleep (if dogs allow). Sunshine, good morning, coffee (with half-and-half, an American invention). Again, a pit stop. I reach behind me, grab the roll, and fumble. It lands feet away, out-of-my reach. Please, a roll of toilet paper. Yes, I know, you gave me one already. I see it across the abyss. Or so the distance reads in my mind. The space between my hands and paper gives me a moment to consider. In my life this invention (which in my experience ranges from near tree bark to silk pillows) provides when needed most.

Comments

  1. The arm attached to the torso---now who could that be???

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment