Pipes

The valves turn but the water keeps flowing. "You need to call a plumber," says the painter. I phone a neighbor who fixes everything from refrigerators to motorbikes. His inspection results in a shopping list of foreign ingredients so I head to a box home shop in the suburbs. I find a plumbing isle and search the labels for names written on the paper scrap in my hand. I see items called coupling, bushing, nipple, union, fitting and plug. My face turns red when an employee approaches. "Do you want help," he asks. "These names do not match what's on my list," I reply. He guides me to the next isle. Disappointment registers on my face. There's nothing spicy about these parts, I say. I gather what's required for the sink repair and return home where I have caulking already in stock.

Comments