Traction

A millimeter of snow melts, leaving a thin layer for sliding along the sidewalk. Determination and fading sun light fuels my legs while my knock rattles front doors. "I'm collecting for the alley snow plowing this winter," I say. Some offer cash. Others write checks. One asks me to wait while she runs to her car. Returning, she gives me a tattered stamped envelope. "I've been driving around with this for days," she explains. My arrival hour interrupts mostly television watching. A man rises from a recliner. "It's not my alley," he says. "We've lived here thirty years and never paid," he adds and closes the door. My chest burns and I stomp to the next house. Here, they welcome me inside. Baked monkey bread cools on the stove top. I ask about the Asian artifacts placed around the living room. Purchased, they tell me, during world travels. My heart softens and I plod on. A couple checks land on my porch the next morning. The collected money now covers the bill. I give it to the man who paid the plow service. Going down my list, I point to a couple addresses that did not pay, including that belonging to Mister Not My Alley. "Oh, so and so, he's an usher at our church." I feel complete relief because now he can take it up with his neighbor in the pews.

Comments

  1. Believe it or not,yours is the first blog I've ever read! You've got talent as a writer I think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cousin!

    I think it is Lorrae's birthday today--or it is Grandma's--I always got them mixed up. It jogged my memory and made me think about my little Easter bunnies from the late '60's. Hope you are doing well. I'd love to hear from you at hjefferyhoward@msn.com. What a great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, nice site you have here! Keep up the excellent work!
    motorbikes sale

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment