Safe

Bodies move in and around three swimming pools. The first is one to two feet deep. Toddlers splash about while giant mushrooms rain down upon them. The second pool is Olympic in size. Most of my time is spent here, somewhere between three and seven feet deep. Touching toes to the bottom adds confidence to a weak swimmer. The third pool draws much attention. People line up at the diving board. A few spin in the air and dive downward. Others scamper up a rock climbing wall, slap the top, and plunge into the water. A sign nearby states that only experienced swimmers should be where the water is twelve feet deep. Putting my qualifications aside, I step up the water tube ladder and plummet through the chute. The landing surprises, but I surface, reach for the edge and climb out. Wet feet on the pavement, I remember to walk, not run, back to my lounge chair.

Comments