Signs

The white folded paper he passes out is hard to read. There are hands making gestures. Maybe a notation that suggests movement. The images are blurry. I've seen these cards before and those, too, were just as poor in reproduction. The cover on this one suggests a two dollar donation for it. That's little for the unemployed sitting in a cafe and drinking chai tea. He comes around to retrieve the cards or the money, if given, and I make a few gestures. I know only a couple, but it's enough to peak his interest and he takes a seat. I realize then that he cannot say anything. We use pen and paper to communicate. He teaches me the sign for "good," "why," and some others. It's hard to see and then do in reverse. He writes that he lost his job at a manufacturing plant. I lost my job, too, but I can hear, speak, and see. He offers to return to the cafe and teach me more signs. This could be the extraordinary opportunity that I've been wondering about during my unemployment. Online I learn that American Sign Language is used by the deaf community in the United States and in parts of Canada. The United Kingdom has its own sign language. Other countries do as well. A nearby college offers ASL classes and a program information meeting is tonight. I think I'll go.

Comments