Certainty

A food line wraps around a patio. Busy season at the fish shack by the falls. An arm wraps around a book. My arm. My book. I hear a voice in my left ear. "What are you reading?" a woman asks. A memoir about a woman adopted as a child, an infant, really, by a family, a woman, really, who wanted her own children, really. (The word really eases the explanation.) The author is British, I tell her. She's well known, I say, and pass the book to the curious, kind woman wondering about a book wrapped in an arm in a line for fish. Others have a hand circling a pint (I should too, I think). Curious, kind woman points to titles listed inside the book. "I've read this and this. And this one was very good," she says. I know only the one back wrapped in my arm. The author and I have a thing in common, I say. Both of us were adopted by women who really really really wanted their own children. The woman's husband (he has a pint) looks me in the eyes. His appear moist. She really said that? You really know that? Yes, she did. Yes, I do. People who really really really want their own children should probably not adopt, I say. He appears worried. It's all right, I tell him. I graduated from therapy, I say, and glance at a menu posted on the patio. I would really like to order something different this time I tell curious, kind woman and worried husband. You? We'll get what we always get, bay scallop tacos. Really? Me too. They're the best. 

Comments

  1. Oranges? Jeanette Winterson? Sea Salt? On the other hand, when I'm on my own, with a book, the last thing I want is for a stranger to start talking to me... Being British and anti-social, as I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new name is Sherlock ;-) Indeed, I was reading a book by Jeanette Winterson while standing in line at Sea Salt. In this case, the book was her memoir, "Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal", which was for me a heart breaker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely snapshot of meaningful feeling shared by strangers. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment